Who we are
A collaboration between Voices from Care Cymru and CASCADE, Cardiff University. A group of care-experienced young people who advise on research projects from design to dissemination. Training in research methods and group facilitation are provided by CASCADE researchers. The group is supported by Voices from Care. The group meets every two months. The group has advised researchers from universities in Wales and Northern Ireland and the third sector, on health and social care topics.
You can watch a short video of the group, produced by the Care Council for Wales.
Does CASCADE Voices make a difference?
There are a number of different ways we’ve contributed to research projects, providing our experience and expertise on:
- How to improve information letters to children, young people
- Suggested methods for gathering data
- The types of questions that researchers should ask
- Ethical issues in research projects
- Setting research questions
- Discussing research themes
- Developing creative dissemination materials including posters, videos and blogs
Members of CASCADE Voices have also been given opportunities to become peer researchers.
In a Welsh Government funded study that CASCADE undertook on Looked after Children and Education (LACE), peer researchers were needed to facilitate focus groups with care leavers. Two members of the group applied for the opportunity and received additional training on research methods, ethics, confidentiality and focus group facilitation. They conducted six focus groups between them and assisted in the development of the focus group questions.
CASCADE Voices won the 2017 Health and Care Research Wales Public Involvement Achievement Award for the LACE research, for more information click here.
CASCADE Voices will have other opportunities for peer researchers in the future.
The group’s impact is described in a chapter of the upcoming ‘The Culture of Care and the everyday Lives of Children and Young People’ by Staples et al 2019.
The group’s impact on one study is described in the book: Doing Qualitative Research in Social Work, by Ian Shaw and Sally Holland (Sage, 2014, p.91)
- Creating blogs on educational experiences. Continuing the dissemination and impact of the LACE research. Blogs are now up on the ExChange Website.
- Members of CASCADE Voices developed content for a video shown at ExChange Residential Care conference, based on their experiences. All resources available online.
Contact the group
If you are a care experienced young person or support one that would like to join the group contact email@example.com or phone 02920 451431
If you are a researcher and would like to ask the group for advice contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02920875142
Voices From Care Vimeo